Halloween is approaching, and even though this holiday could be filled with fun activities, it also marks one of the deadliest days of the year for accidents. Many factors at night may cause incurred slip and fall injuries. If you are a resident of New York City on Halloween night, It is crucial to become aware of what may cause a slip and fall incident and how you can prevent a severe injury.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents on Halloween
Every year slip and fall accidents affect thousands of New Yorkers and are the most common claims in premises liability lawsuits. There can be dangerous hazardous conditions in heavily trafficked areas, especially in downtown Manhattan. Slips and falls cause nearly 700 fatalities per year. If you find yourself trick-or-treating on Halloween night in the city, there are few things you should be aware of:
- Poor lighting or visibility while walking
- Icy or slippery surfaces
- Unsafe flooring
- Uneven or loose surfaces on sidewalks
Tips to Avoid a Serious Slip and Fall Injury on Halloween
As a pedestrian roaming the city on Halloween night, there are some safety precautions you should consider:
- Bring a bright flashlight when walking the streets to ensure that you can noticeably be seen on the sidewalk or pathway. As a result of heavily trafficked urban areas, walking the roads may be dangerous because of poor lighting and uneven sidewalks. Try to walk in areas where there is an appropriate amount of lighting to prevent any accidents.
- Wear appropriate fitting costumes and attire. Long and loose costumes can be a tripping hazard and cause a significant fall. Be aware of loose electrical cords or other debris on surfaces that could be a tripping hazard.
- Try to walk slowly in appropriately lit stairways, pathways, and sidewalks. There could be slippery surfaces and unsafe conditions in the city. Staying focused on your path and walking with intention can help you avoid a dangerous slip and fall accident.
Here at Loscalzo & Loscalzo, P.C. we advocate for justice in situations where negligence has led directly to bodily harm. If you or someone you know was recently injured in a slip and fall accident caused by dangerous property conditions, contact us at (646) 846-4776 to discuss your options and find out how an attorney can help you.